Thursday, April 24, 2008

It's a beautiful day in Scranton...

Yes, it's true. Just when I thought the gray freezing cold days would never end, Scranton has the nerve to bust out with all the flowers and green grass a Marylander could hope for. Even better -- NEPA boasts some seriously beautiful, cloudless days in the warm months while most Marylanders are living in a suffocating sauna-like hellhole made of bricks. So yeah, let's just say that now it's 70 degrees (it can't last, can it?) I'm not hatin on my new home so much. Here's some other nice things going on this spring -- my husband has landed a drummer spot in a very good and active band in town. This is incredible news for me because it will: 1) get him to stop hating my guts for moving him here, away from all his Baltimore band buddies; 2) keeps him busy as hell with practicing and playing shows, again, good for stopping the hate, 3) give me something to do on the weekends, not to mention having an excuse to attend all-ages shows without the embarrassment of just being an old-lady fan (or, on my good days, "sexy grandma"); and 4) give both of us an opportunity to meet some insanely nice and funny locals that we can relate to. And I'll just say having hung out only a few times with his bandmates, these are some seriously "good folk." So even though this town is suffocatingly tiny compared to what I'm used to, I do appreciate the fact that Scranton peeps are excited to be seeing some new faces in town -- I'm even trying to make that face less dour (god forbid I start making the infamous Dunmore "frown smile"). Oh yeah, and did I mention that this band plays out of town a lot? More chances to waste money in cities I can't afford (see previous blog). Anyhow, that's it for now. Hubby's band plays a ton this weekend so I've got to go press my fancy jeans in anticipation.

No comments: