Thursday, April 17, 2008

Welcome to The Scrizzy

I am not a "blogger" by trade nor am I that interested in reading blogs. That is, until I moved to a city where there is very little information on what to do with one's spare time or how to meet up with other like-minded folk. Even before my husband and I moved to Scranton in July of 2007, I spent a lot of time searching on the internet for ANY information on the town, including neighborhoods to live in, restaurants to eat at, and how to survive in what can seem like a very closed town to newcomers. Scranton hasn't quite caught on to the "live and work in the city" campaigns of other big rust-belt cities, and it has been a continuing frustration to find out information as simple as a trustworthy restaurant review. One of the first restaurant reviews I read in a not-to-be-mentioned weekly rag actually used the phrase "icky roe" to review the food in a sushi restaurant. Sigh.

Scranton hasn't exactly welcomed us with open arms and relentless excitement that she just gained two very reluctant Baltimore transplants. However, this blog will be a way for me to share information on Scranton's (and NEPA) cultural and university events, restaurants, and shopping, not to mention a great outlet for general musings on how I am acculturating to my new city. I know that most of what I may put on here is already common knowledge to Scrantonians, however, there really is no reliable place to find out about some of these "hidden gems" outside of the word of mouth. And trust me, when you don't know many people in town, the word of mouth system is extremely limiting. So, for what it's worth: The Scrizzy.

No comments: